Friday 15 November 2013

The Look Of Leather

With a new season comes a new trend, this trend usually begins with a designer and a sketchbook, its then brought to life on our catwalk and if we are LUCKY the trends key elements are interpreted by our favourite high-street brands for us high-street junkies to work into our OWN wardrobes and create our OWN style. 

And this season the trend leading the catwalk to the high-street was leather. It seemed impossible to walk down the high-street without brushing past a leather sleeve or being followed by the tapping of a chunky leather heel. 

So while it's still cold outside I've decided to take a look at some of my favourite leather key pieces from the season that have become staple wardrobe essentials.

The Jacket

The leather sleeve is something on the catwalk that has not gone un-noticed by the high-street again this year! Zara was amongst the first retailers last Christmas to launch the leather sleeve  re-inventing the Parker and the Mac  - after seeing it on the catwalk at Burberry and many more. Like the iconic leather jacket it's a look that has stuck with us as a wardrobe essential for AW13. However this year I'm struggling to think of a retailer on the high-street where I haven't seen a leather sleeve. I've picked out a couple of my Zara favourites from their outerwear range that have incorporated this trend.


Combined Faux Leather Coat £89.99 - Combination Parka with Faux Leather Sleeves £109.00. Images: www.zara.co.uk.

I've also managed to pick myself up a bargain this year from retailer giants Primark with this quilted sleeve and wool textured jacket with gold zip detail. I can't remember exactly how much I paid for it but for under £30.00 it's a bargain! 


Primark Quilted Sleeve Coat under £30.00. Image: www.ebay.co.uk.
Gold detailing on this jacket creates an expensive look. Images: www.ebay.co.uk.

The Chunky Heel 

These boots are just AMAZING! I cannot stress enough how they have transformed my daytime wardrobe! As a short girl myself (If you hadn't noticed already) a comfy heel is an everyday essential and these boots provide the added height without the discomfort of a back breaking stiletto. Although not genuine leather the chic leather look and feel of these platform lace up's are all you need to complete any outfit when teamed with a pair of high-waisted skinny's and a tailored shirt - I also love throwing a fur gilet on over the top to add a bit of glamour and if you want to pump up the volume even more try an oversized hat for a real Chelsea girl look. 

Topshop Astrix Platform Lace Up Boots £42.00. Images: www.topshop.co.uk.

The Trousers

Last year the leather trouser was another statement piece I lived in giving a more polished finish to any outfit, it's such a versatile piece that can be dressed up with a tailored jacket for dinner or dressed down with chunky knitwear for the day. This year i'm loving this high-waited version from Next for just £28.00 and the great thing about next is that they come in regular and longer lengths meaning they'll be suitable for everyone. 


Next Leather Look Skinny Trousers £28.00. Images: www.next.co.uk.

The Skirt 

Just because it's winter that doesn't mean you have to completely hide your legs away until next summer, I love wearing skirts because  they epitomise femininity - woman protested for us to have the mini-skirt so we should make the most of showing off our legs in all seasons. For AW13 I love quilted leather and this quilted mini-skirt from New Look is my latest wardrobe investment, I suggest teaming it with a thick pair of tights and black boots - I've recently been dressing it down with an oversized knitted jumper but i've fallen in love with it so much that last night I dressed it up with a tailored black shirt, super-high heels and a statement necklace. The skirts texture  makes the outfit look so much more expensive than it actually is but at £17.99 it's a must have!  


New Look Black Quilted Leather-Look Biker Mini Skirt £17.99. Image: www.newlook.co.uk.


Words: Nathalie Dawe 

No comments:

Post a Comment